Steve Jobs introduces the Think Different advertising campaign and explains Apple’s philosophy on marketing.
- “To me marketing is about values”.
- It’s a very complicated and noisy world and we don’t have a chance to get people to remember much about us.
- We have to be really clear about what we want people to know about us.
- “Even a great brand needs investment and caring if it’s going to retain its relevance and vitality”.
- The dairy industry has tried to convince us that milk was good for us for 20 years and sales have fell. Then they did the “Got Milk” campaign and sales increased.
- Nike never talks about their product in their ads, they honor great athletes and great athletics, that is who they are and what they are about.
- Our customers want to know who we are and what we stand for.
- We aren’t about making boxes to help people get their jobs done.
- “Our core value is we believe that people with passion can change the world for the better”.
- Markets may change, but values shouldn’t change.
Here is a better quality version of the Think Different ad.
Here is a great version of the ad by Apple that honors Steve Jobs.
“Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose.” -Steve Jobs